Saturday, March 24, 2012

Technology and Learning

As a learner, I have been exposed to many “effects with” technology tools which caused my interest to focus on computer programming in college.  I have learned to work with programming languages for machine coding and artificial intelligence to generate the required results.  Today, machine code and the programming languages that I have used may be now considered primitive and cumbersome.  But my learning experience was very helpful to realize the “effects of” this technology.   There are programming languages that I may not know now, but I have learned how to create and understand the concept of computer algorithm and logic.  We use the same concept and knowledge when using any programming languages to accomplish the desired output.

As an educator, I teach adult students who require learning solutions that are relevant to their experiences and needs.   I currently teach business and office computer applications and my students consider this technology helpful for workplace readiness and practical use.  There have been a few versions for MS Office Suite and we are bombarded with many web 2.0 applications that can generate the same productivity results.   The “effects of” technology can take place when the students are able to understand the major functionality and process of using the technology and eventually transfer the learning to any productivity software.  Regardless of the fast-paced technological changes, students realize that their education was worthwhile if they are able to apply what they have learned to their career or lifestyle. 

I find technology-based learning effective when it involves flexibility, interactivity, and gives me the ability to move through the lessons at my own pace.  I have completed five online courses towards MAET and I have experienced learning that facilitates self-direction in me.  If F2F learning format can fulfill my learning needs, then I don’t mind being in an instructor-led classroom where instructors are the facilitators of my learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment